The 10th Anniversary Old Guy in Action Calgary Icebreaker Polar Dip was amazing…and quite a change from Dip #1 back in 2010:
- Over 150 registered Dipsters (Year 1: 7)
- Over 40 volunteers (Year 1: 0)
- Over 700 individual donations! (Year 1: 20)
- Over 20 corporate sponsors (Year 1: 0)
- Over $95,000.00 donated by generous people like you (Year 1: $1,600)
- Over 300 spectators (Year 1: 20 friends & family)
The costumes and pageantry this year were amazing; ranging from walking dart boards, full-on gymnastic demonstrations, a dance clinic (from the “Very Old Guys in Action”), fairies, elves, animals and patriotism demonstrated by a maple leaf carved out of manly chest hair.
We had a guest appearance from Lowell and Julie Taylor, contestants from season 4 of the Amazing Race Canada. Lowell, legally blind, is a world-class para-athlete (track cycling). As a couple they were “the Blind Dipster and the Blond Dipster”. Thanks Lowell and Julie...you were great!
· Our first time at the Mahogany Beach Club in southeast Calgary. The Beach Club is an awesome facility. Mahogany is warm and welcoming place. The Club, the community and local businesses really stepped up in providing support and volunteers.
· Our first official employee! Naomi Holland, who has been the energy behind the dip for many years, came on as OGIA staff this year and, as always, did an outstanding, stellar job.
· Our first Distance dips in Uganda and the USA.
Uganda Distance Dip organized by the amazing Steve Williams, founder of the Kyaninga Child Development Centre. Thanks Steve, Carlos and all who Dipped in Fort Portal Uganda!