Coming October 2015!
Old Guys in Action Ride across Guatemala for Mothers and Babies
33% of indigenous women in the mountainous highlands of Guatemala have no access to formal prenatal/postnatal care.
Maternal mortality is twice the national average; twice the UN Millennium Development Goal target for 2015.
Malnutrition for kids under 5 is the 6th highest in the world.
Cultural & language barriers contribute to poor utilization of government health clinics. Clinics that do exist in these remote areas are crumbling, under-staffed and poorly equipped.
The Response:CAUSE Canada, with over 30 years of experience in Guatemala, has been entrusted by the Canadian Government to manage a $4.4 million, 4½ year program that will directly benefit 68,000 mothers and babies and indirectly benefit another 160,000 men, women and children. The program will:
· Institute health training programs through local women’s MNCH committees.
· Provide pre- and post-natal counselling.
Our/Your Part:CAUSE Canada must raise $675,000 as part of this Canadian Government grant program and has asked for help from Old Guys in Action to raise $40,000 of that total through their Ride Across Guatemala for Mothers and Babies. Here’s the plan:
· This October four Old Guys (Bernie, Ross, Andrew and Jeff) will cycle 300 km through the mountains of Guatemala, climbing over 30,000 feet (equivalent to scaling Mt. Everest) at altitudes as high as 12,000 feet.
· The ride will raise awareness and funds towards CAUSE Canada’s MNCH program obligation.
· Old Guys will pay 100% of their own costs, so all funds raised will go to CAUSE Canada.
· Donations are matched 6.5 times by the Canadian Government and are fully tax deductible.
Please help Old Guys in Action and CAUSE Canada make a difference.
Give now to CAUSE Canada!
See below for how to donate:
Go online now to CAUSE Canada at
When you go to this site, you will see a form at the bottom of the page that looks like this example below:
You can also give cash, or a cheque payable to CAUSE Canada, to one of the Old Guys. Or mail a cheque to:
CAUSE Canada, PO Box 8100, Canmore, Alberta T1W 2T8.
Don’t forget to reference Old Guys Guatemala on the cheque.